Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Quilt-y Kaleidoscopes and Mitered Corners!

I've been fascinated by quilt-y kaleidoscopes ever since I knew they existed.

ProsperityStuff Kaleidoscope Quilt on Clothesline


Octagons, hexagons, (more hexagons!), squares, you name it. (This post has pictures of a variety of  kaleidoscopes I've made.)

ProsperityStuff Hexagon Kaleidoscope Quilt


So, I have been interested to see some of the things Jinny Beyer has done with border prints in kaleidoscope-like designs. (Some of her free patterns are in the Free Patterns and Quilter's Block Library sections of her website.)

ProsperityStuff Square Kaleidoscope with Jinny Beyer fabric


Imagine my surprise when I found, at my favorite thrift store, a big bundle (5+ yards!) of Jinny Beyer fabric!

ProsperityStuff bought fabric called Monticello by Jinny Beyer


I had no idea what to do with it, but figured I would come up with something!
These designs are border prints, with a lot of symmetry built in, to make it easier/prettier to get geometric designs and mitered corners to work.

ProsperityStuff got fabric called Monticello by Jinny Beyer

Lately, most of my quilt backs have been pieced quilt backs. In some cases, the back is pretty detailed. Like a whole 'nother quilt. Because, really, I have enough fabric. I don't need to by more. So a lot of my currently-in-progress quilt "backs" look a lot like quilt tops.

Anyhoo ... Here's a quick look at my latest kaleidoscope-like quilt bits for a quilt "back".
Each of these squares was made of 4 matching triangles ... That way, the stripes make mitered corners. Very cool.

ProsperityStuff Kaleidoscope designs with Monticello fabric by Jinny Beyer

I'm also auditioning some of the fabric for borders on some coordinating stuff ...

ProsperityStuff border from Monticello fabric by Jinny Beyer

 I'm having fun! More details later!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...