Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Kaleidoscopes in Navy

Just before Christmas, I finished a quilt I couldn't blog about yet ...



Over a year and a half ago, I made this quilt top (pictured below), which was a lot of fun. Just recently, I got to revisit the same design, which I enjoyed!


A few months ago, my sister-in-law asked if she could pay me to make a quilt for her mother-in-law Lisa. We talked about sizes and styles and colors that she knew Lisa would like (since it would be a surprise for her).  We decided on the look of the kaleidoscope design above, (since Lisa had liked it on my blog), made in navy and gray and yellow. 


The project was especially fun, because Lisa happens to be a friend of mine, too.
After selecting fabrics (above, plus a white background fabric), and emailing some computer-generated designs back and forth to my sister-in-law, I got busy ...


It's fun to see (and photo-document) stages of progress.


The quilt blocks above were laid on top of the Panthers Jeans Quilt for the picture ...


Here's the quilt top all done:


One of the things I love about this style of kaleidoscope is how it looks like such a circular design, even though all the seams are straight!


I quilted it with a basic, allover free-motion design, in blue variegated thread ...


... and added some fun details in one of the borders: free-motion flowers and leaves.


I really like the back of the quilt, too. Especially that gray and white floral. I might have to get some more of that ...


The quilt measures 55" x 65", which makes a really versatile throw quilt.
I'm really pleased with how the quilt turned out.
Lisa likes it, too! So glad!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...