Monday, August 23, 2021

Yarn Crochet ... With a Purpose

Over the years, I've done a lot of crocheting ... everything from fine-thread doilies to worsted-yarn afghans. I'm pretty sure my first real crochet projects were made from granny squares, which explains why I can almost crochet granny squares with my eyes closed! 

 Susana Neiger charity crochet: Blue-White Granny Square Susana Neiger charity crochet: Brown-Green-Blue Granny Square

Susana Neiger charity crochet: Black & Colorful Granny Square

For a few years, I didn't crochet much at all. For a while, during my craft-y time, if I wasn't quilting, I was probably knitting socks. But that changed and my love for crochet was re-ignited when I had the chance to join a group of ladies at my Church to crochet things to donate to mission projects. 

Susana Neiger charity crochet: Bright Orange Hat Susana Neiger charity crochet: Gray-Variegated Hat

Joining in on the group's projects reminded me how much I love crochet, and how satisfying it is! The group projects mostly involve simple hats, small afghans, and baby gifts. 

Susana Neiger charity crochet: Brown-Rainbow-Striped Hat Susana Neiger charity crochet: Beige-Variegated Seaman's Cap

We donate hats by the hundreds to be given in the winter to workers on cruise ships and barges at our nearest major seaport. The hat-gifts are part of a bigger ministry that provides various services to these workers who arrive at the port from around the world and are soon on their way again. The hats are super simple to make, since they're designed to be the kind of thing a person could wear under their regular rain-gear/uniform. It's a simple gift, but might bring a little warmth, colorfulness, and cheer to a stranger. 

Susana Neiger charity crochet: Orange-Striped Seaman's Hat Susana Neiger charity crochet: Beige-Blue-Striped Hat

Our group is making small afghans which we donate in a variety of ways, including disaster relief projects, nursing home gifts, and things like that. I've had fun making small afghans to test out new patterns, to use up scrap yarn, and to create a finished product in almost no time. And giving it to a great cause makes the process even better!

Susana Neiger charity crochet: Pink Houndstooth Afghan Susana Neiger charity crochet: Brown-Fall Circle Granny Afghan

Susana Neiger charity crochet: Green-Fall Granny Stripe Afghan

For the past few years, our group has partnered with a local organization that provides baby gifts for young families in our community. Cute baby "cocoons" with matching baby hats has been the project our group makes for this organization, and they're fun to make and really adorable.

Susana Neiger charity crochet: Pastel Baby Cocoon Susana Neiger charity crochet: Pale Green Baby Cocoon

Susana Neiger charity crochet: Blue Baby Cocoon

Although it's not an official group project, some of the ladies in the group have also made and donated baby blankets to send to a ministry in Haiti that's supported by local friends. I've enjoyed the chance to crochet some cute things with baby yarn, knowing that some cozy crochet might just remind some moms and babies that they are loved. 

Susana Neiger charity crochet: Blue-White Granny Stripe Afghan Susana Neiger charity crochet: Pink-White Baby Afghan

Susana Neiger charity crochet: Pastel-Green Baby Afghan Susana Neiger charity crochet: Blue Wave Baby Afghan

I think making things and giving them away -- even to strangers -- is a wonderful way to put our talents to good use. I love to hear about the community projects that other crafters are working on, so I thought I'd share a few of mine on my blog, too.

Susana Neiger charity crochet: Pink-White Circle Granny Afghan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...