Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Random Catch-Up Blog Post

So, it's been a while since I've blogged! Apparently, I'm not one of those nice, consistent bloggers who plans "breaks", and lets you know ahead of time when a month-long blog-break is happening. Anyhoo. As usual, I'm always either working on a project or two, or dreaming up the next one (or three!)

When I've got bits of time to "sit around", I'm still hand-stitching my Vintage-Inspired English Paper Piecing, and making some progress on the white(ish) border.


I've also been cutting dozens of T-Shirts into T-Shirt Yarn. (I've done this before; see my T-Shirt Crafts label in the blog sidebar.) Sometimes I use the yarn to crochet (LOVE to make bags & baskets & rugs with this stuff!), and I'm selling some of the yarn on eBay, because I've found that other crafters often find it handy to buy their recycled T-Shirt Yarn "ready-made". 

  

Stitching letters into quilts is a fun and easy way to personalize a quilt. I've done a lot of regular, single-line-stitched cursive letters, which is fun. Another technique I've been trying is a little more involved, but has a great look. Here's an in-progress photo of a recent project (pink letter-quilting on white; blue lines are water-soluble marker):


I haven't given up on my Batik Double Wedding Ring Quilt ... Every once in a while, I pull it out and piece a bit more ... getting close to a (small) milestone on the piecing:


Before long, I'm planning to machine-quilt a Dresden Plate quilt top that my mom sent for me to quilt. It's vintage, and gorgeous, and a family heirloom. I figured it would be helpful to practice, since I've never quilted a Dresden Plate quilt, and since there are so many great options for custom-quilting a design like this. 

So, I made my first-ever Dresden Plate block, so I'd have something realistic to practice on. I haven't decided what quilting design to use, so loops and scallops worked as a fun start. That went well enough. I figure I can add this block to my gingham sampler quilt eventually.


Another thing I've been wanting to try is applique-style quilting, using cotton jersey fabric (from T-Shirts!), and the Dresden Plate idea made an appearance here, too. The non-fraying quality of jersey fabric helped me out here, and made the Dresden Plate construction super-easy.


Had a lot of fun quilting these. Surprisingly easy, too. 


So, anyway. Been busy. Summer is off to a great start.
It's possible that these pics will each turn into their own blog post, eventually ... maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...