Monday, November 21, 2011

The first big quilt ...

This is the first big quilt I made ... Machine-pieced, hand quilted ... 


I've always loved variety, and so, the color scheme (or lack thereof?) reflects that.

This is the quilt I decided to start making when I was a teenager. (Yes. That long ago. More on that later.) My mom and I shopped for fabric, and I used her rotary cutting stuff to cut allllll those diamonds. And triangles. And squares.

After I got all the piecing done, I decided to quilt it by hand. By. Hand.
Flowers in the empty navy blue squares ...
Stars around the stars ...
 
Waves and curlicues on the edging ...

As often happens to my projects, I got a little distracted from the project when I was nearly done. I had half of the hand quilting done, and then I stopped. (At least I had a good excuse ... During the decade that I didn't work on the hand quilting, I got married, moved to a new state, and had five awesome kids ... )

When I finally realized that the quilt was halfway quilted, I decided to try for a little bit of consistent work in the evenings when the kids were in bed. Sure enough, it got done. More than a decade after starting ... Voila!

I finished it a couple of years ago. It has lived on my bed ever since. 


2 comments:

  1. I love this quilt using solids and your handquilting is just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - quilted by hand! Impressive. I have a quilt like that - started decades ago and half-quilted by hand. Not sure I can bring myself to finish the hand quilting though. Love how your star quilt turned out! (I'm visiting from abrightcorner.com)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...