Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Half a Circle of Flying Geese - in Gingham

Yesterday, I mentioned getting some gingham ready to do something ... So, here's the latest edition of that idea ...


I love looking at pictures of flying-geese-in-a-circle. (Or is it geese flying in a circle? Circles of flying geese? Round flying geese? Anyway ...)


Every version of this design that I've ever seen involves paper piecing. (Not the "English" kind of paper piecing.) Some day, I might love that kind of paper piecing, but for now, my one paper-piecing experience was a little tedious, and not really that impressive. 


So, I got out my handy-dandy quilt notebook, and started penciling a way to make round flying geese without paper piecing. Rulers, angles, pencil marks ...


And, since I was in the mood to sit in my rocking chair, I made my first attempt of this pattern with scissors, needle and thread, instead of my usual rotary cutter and sewing machine.


I'm really pleased with how this turned out - even sewn by hand and not yet pressed. It's not bad, although I know where I need to make some adjustments now.


Once I tweak the method a little bit, I might even make a picture-tutorial on how I did this ... Stay tuned!


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...