Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pine Needles! Who Knew?!

I recently learned that some people make baskets out of pine needles. (There are oodles of pictures and tutorials online if you search Google for "pine needle basket".)

So, always up for a crafting challenge, I had to try it! 

Pine Needle Coaster

I made a coaster, wrapping the pine straw with brown nylon thread. Then, I decided I should try curling ribbon instead of thread. (This was in lieu of the customary raffia ribbon that the online tutorials said I should use. I DID stretch the ribbon so it wasn't still its usual crimped texture, since I don't want it stretching at random later.)

Pine Needle Basket Closeup

Not bad. Not bad at all. 

Pine Needle Basket - Pink Ribbon

And, since my backyard is full of pine needles, I might make some more ...

Pine Straw Basket - made with curling ribbon!

Pine needles. For baskets. Who knew?!

Pine Straw basket - closeup



2 comments:

  1. Oh this is so cool. Our town and nearby mountains are full of pine needles. I will do the baskets, but also thinking outdoor rug. Our spinklers hit the front steps(fixing has not worked), so no rug or mat I put there ever dries out. Maybe the pine needles will work.

    Thanks so much for sharing.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now I have to just try this! I loved making rope baskets and love the idea of just going out back for supplies!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...