Saturday, June 23, 2018

The Vintage Dresden Plate Quilt

Every now and then, I realize that there are some quilts I've worked on that I never blogged about. So, from time to time, I'll try to "catch up" and blog about them.

This gorgeous Dresden Plate quilt top was made by my great-great-grandmother. The Dresden Plates were stitched by hand!


My mom was privileged to inherit several pieces of her great-grandmother's handiwork, including a couple of finished quilts, and a few quilt tops.


This is one of those quilt tops. A few years ago, my mom asked if I could quilt it, along with three other quilt tops that had waited so long to be quilted.


I spent a long time planning and procrastinating on the Dresden Plate, worrying about how to machine-quilt such a beautiful vintage piece. I needed to be able to give it stability without detracting from its awesomeness. I finally settled on a design, and finished the quilting.


I'll be posting pictures of the finished quilt soon, with more pictures!


One of the (many!) really cool things about this quilt is that this is an unfinished project of my Great-great grandmother's. She died before I was born. So, I never got to see her hand-stitch her many quilt projects. But it feels pretty good to have shared in finishing this project of hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...