Progress is happening on the Crossword Puzzle Quilt that I've mentioned before ... (Check the "Crossword Puzzle Quilt" label in my sidebar to see all the posts on this topic.)
I finished all the dozens of letters I needed to make. So fun!
There was a bit of a dilemma figuring out how to make the little quilt look crossword-puzzleish without looking boring, or being impossible to sew.
I decided to stitch a tiny, folded piece of black fabric between letters. I ended up taking a 3/4" wide piece of fabric, folded so that it's 3/8" when folded. I just stuck the folded piece between the two letters that were being sewn together. Since I needed something that would make a line between letters, but not add width to them, this worked out fine. It's so tiny that I can just press it flat to the side, and it barely sticks up.
I had a couple black print fabrics, along with the black dot fabric I used for the letters, plus a black pinstripe cut from a shirt ... So I'm using those for the black background-space. I want it to look crossword-puzzle-like, so these mostly-black fabrics work well. But I also want this to look patchwork-quilty, so I'm pleased with the look of the fabrics together.
Still just showing sneak-peeks of this one, since it might be a gift, if it turns out the way I want it ...